Sunday, June 12, 2011

Change of Life

I've decided that since the money involved in freelance graphic design, illustration, web design and what-not is so unreliable, that I'll try something else instead. Since I like building things, and I like working with wood, carpentry or joinery seem like good options. Having had Christchurch fall down around our ears means that there will be plentiful work here for the next decade at least, as the city gets rebuilt.

Last week I started an accelerated (6 month, full time) pre-trade carpentry course at CPIT. Basically, it takes all the theory hoo-ha from a standard apprenticeship program, mushes it together with some practical skills training and work experience, and releases its graduates into the wild to pick up apprenticeships, beginning with a little relevant knowledge, and free from after-work night classes.

So far, it's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment